Monday, April 15, 2013

2013 - "It took 38 marathons: five years and four months for my Boston dream to become reality"

Michelle Walker,
"Mom o' 6"
Do you have a bucket list? Do you have goals to check off? For five and a half years, my big dream was to qualify for the Boston Marathon. The Boston Marathon is the mecca for many long distance runners. The race has a rich history. Having to qualify with a time from a previous marathon creates an exclusive environment. This race is the big badge of honor in the marathon world. The exclusive entry is coveted by most long distance runners. When I ran my very first marathon in Phoenix, Arizona, I thought this would be an easy goal to check off. I knew with the proper training, I could accomplish this goal.

As I stepped up to the starting line of the 2007 PF Chang’s RnR Marathon, I was very hopeful I could qualify. I had never run a marathon before, but I have always been a hard worker. I knew I had put in the proper training to earn a spot at the starting line. Thanks to the encouragement from one of my fellow travelers, I was even confident I could achieve my Boston Marathon time goal.

When the starting gun was fired, I took off. I ran fast. I ran hard. I was feeling good. The sun was shining; temps were unusually cool; and the course was flat. My "I’m going to Boston" euphoria kicked in right away and lasted until, well, just mile 16, where I had my first encounter with the infamous "Wall". I had 10.2 (and the 0.2 is significant) miles to go; yet, my legs would not move. They were done. Finished. Kaput. I was quickly humbled as the pace teams who I had hoped to beat progressively passed me. How was I going to make it to the finish line, let alone finish under a BQ standard?

My first reaction to remedy the situation was to grab an energy gel. I inhaled the Cliff brand gel pack as if it were my ticket to the finish line. My upset stomach immediately revolted. I had to move to the sidelines where I literally started to gag. Hundreds of runners passed me while I tried to regain my running composure. Somehow, I kept the contents of my stomach inside, as I alternated between walking and running for the next nine miles. I made it to the finish line, but I did not experience the euphoria so many runners have when they complete their first marathon. Instead, I felt deflated.

Due to the increasing popularity of marathon running, the Boston Marathon has become more stringent on their time qualifications, making it more difficult to get in. For example, I am in the 40-44 year old age group for females. When I started marathon running, my qualifying time was 3:50. I spent several years training hard, trying to break the 3:50 barrier. About 2011, the Boston Marathon tightened everyone’s time qualification because the race was filling up at record pace. To my dismay, my qualifying time of 3:50 was changed to 3:45. When this change occurred, I must admit. I started to lose hope. A time of 3:45 or less seemed like an impossibility.

After the near disaster first marathon experience, I was on a mission. I would train even harder and eventually qualify for Boston! Ironically, my second marathon proved to be even more of a disaster than my first. I was unable to complete the race, despite my efforts. I learned quickly the marathon distance must be respected. I have never been a natural athlete, but I had no idea how much work was ahead of me in order to check the Boston Marathon from my bucket list.


I spent the next five years of my fitness life working on my running endurance. Granted, I did have a baby during that time. Even during my pregnancy, I trained (under my doctor’s guidelines). I immediately went back to marathoning after the birth of my sixth child, running the WDW Marathon six months postpartum.

Over time, I found the more marathons I ran, the better my endurance. The better my endurance, the faster my marathon times. The infamous "Wall" disappeared as I adjusted to the distance. Since January of 2013, I have run 17 marathons. This high frequency of marathon running is not recommended by the experts. For me, however, it works.

I am fortunate that over my six plus years of marathoning, I have never had an injury. Nothing. Nada. For me, the best form of training has been the marathon itself. I found myself using each marathon as a training run for the next race. I kept plugging away; logging marathon after marathon. Progressively, I was getting faster and faster.

Five years and 29 marathons after my first race disaster in Phoenix, something clicked. I started consistently running each of my marathons below the four hour time mark. This is generally considered to be a quick pace in the marathon world, but my times were still not meeting the new stringent BQ standards.

It wasn’t until I ventured to the mile high city of Denver (where altitude was a factor) in May of 2012 that I finally crossed the finish line about 15 seconds under the time I needed to qualify for Boston. I was elated! It took 38 marathons: five years and four months for my Boston dream to become reality.

Since May 2012, I have posted BQ times in 21 other states. Little by little, I am shaving even more time off my marathons. I am occasionally placing in my age group; sometimes even placing as one of the top three overall females in the marathon. My personal best came in Hartford, Connecticut, at the ING Hartford Marathon in 2012, when I posted a time of 3 hours 30 minutes.

On April 15, 2013, when I finally stepped up to the coveted starting line of the Boston Marathon, I was flooded with a myriad of emotions. What I originally thought to be a short term goal turned into a very long and arduous journey, but my road to Boston is one I will never trade. The runner who stood at the start of the Boston Marathon was not the same person who stepped up to the starting line of a marathon in Phoenix back in 2007. The confidence I gained by realizing how strong, tenacious, and persistent I am has been life changing. Running has also helped me focus on my children and their needs, work on my "to-do" list, and keep my priorities straight.


The finish of my goal race was bittersweet. I finished the 2013 Boston Marathon with a time of 3:36:59. I had a wonderful race experience! I walked away from the finish line area approximately 15 minutes before the bombings occurred. My Copley Square hotel room faced the finish line. The panic, worry, and sense of helplessness I experienced over the next 12 hours definitely overshadowed my sense of accomplishment.

My heart goes out to all of the victims directly affected by the bombings. In April 2014, I will go back to Boston with a very different mission. By running, I hope to some how support and perpetuate the healing that needs to take place.

Michelle Walker
Newburgh, Indiana



For more personal accounts of the 2013 Boston marathon, click here.

All our most recently posted stories can be found on the BOSTONLOG homepage.